My photographs capture moments in the lives of underprivileged people in developing countries. I strive to combine the aesthetics and expressive power of photography with the goal of letting the world know about social, ecological and economic injustices.
Since 2005 I have produced project documentations and reportages on social and ecological themes in Africa, Asia and Latin America. My clients are aid organisations and socially concerned media.
As a geography graduate with a special focus on development geography and a former aid worker in Pakistan and Afghanistan, I am particularly familiar with this field.
Together with the Journalist Sandra Weiss I am running the cross-media agency Weko Media. We produce features about social topics in Latin America. Besides photos and text we include cross-media tools such as audio, video and webdesign to tell our stories. We got nominated for the renomated german Grimme Online-Award 2015 for our feature about reconstruction in Haiti after the earthquake: "Auferstanden als Ruine - Gewinner und Verlierer des Wiederaufbaus in Haiti".
I am currently working with journalist Sandra Weiss on a multimedia project about the international aid efforts in Haiti. It was published on 12 January 2014–the fourth anniversary of the catastrophic Haitian earthquake. The cultural foundation of the association of creators of visual art (Kulturwerk der VG Bild-Kunst) is kindly assisting this independent project with a grant.
You can use my online archives to search for motifs and to obtain licences for specific photographs. If you have further questions, are interested in working with me, or would like to commission photographs, please contact me via e-mail. I would be happy to hear from you.
Studied Geography in Cologne
2004 and 2006:
Aid worker in Afghanistan and Pakistan
Freelance photographer based in Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
Aid Organizations / NGOs:
- Aktion Deutschland Hilft (ADH)
- Amnesty International
- Bread for the World
- Caritas Switzerland
- Christian Blind Mission (CBM)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe
- German Leprosy and Tuberculosis Relief Association (DAHW)
- GIZ - Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH
- KfW - Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau
- Kindermissionswerk "Die Sternsinger"
Editorial Clients (selection):
- 2013: Nomination for the „The Innovation in Development Reporting Grant Programme (IDR)“
- 2013: Scholarship for a multimedia project about the aid efforts after the 2010 earthquake in Haiti by Kulturwerk der VG Bild-Kunst
Destinations in 2015:
- Brazil: German development cooperation, social housing, favela projects
- Mexico: Features about the tourism industry in Cancun and about Latin-American migrants heading towards the USA
- Argentina: Land conflicts
- Paraguay: Land conflicts, public health projects
- Costa Rica: German development cooperation
- Ecuador: Water and sanitation projects in Andean communities
Pictures of these and other topics can be searched in my Online Archives. For any question please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Planning 2013*:
- February: Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
Carnival in Rio
- March: Brazil, Mato Grosso
Youth project, soccer, agrobusiness
- April: Cambodia
Public health, family planning, peace-making projects
- May: Brazil, Sao Paulo
Views of the city
- June: Bolivia, La Paz
Feature about German aid-workers and young volunteers
- July: Brazil, Mato Grosso
Feature about a German missonary who is drilling wells in Indian reservations
- July: Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
World Youth Day and the pope´s visit in Brazil
- September: Brazil, Ceará
Children project, portrait of the artist Marcos Xenofonte
- September: Haiti, Port-au-Prince and Leogane
Multimedia project about the reconstruction efforts four years after the earthquake
- October: Peru
Social and ecological impacts of the mining industry in the Andes, orphanage in Ayacucho, traditional agriculture in Andean comunities
- November: Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
German development cooperation
* Changes are possible at any time. I can be booked starting from Rio de Janeiro.